Sunday, February 12, 2012

When everything you touch....

turns to crap!! yup, that's me this weekend. Have you ever had one of those days when you have such high hopes for your art, but nothing seems to work as you envision? It's been like that all weekend for me. I had such great ideas, leading up to this weekend  that when Saturday finally came around, I couldn't decide where to start....so after wasting hours on indecision, I started. And guess what? it was garbage! I mean really bad!  In the garbage bin it went.  Then the next idea, then the next....oh boy, maybe I should have made this a week to sit back and watch movies. Because art didn't love me this weekend. Try as I may, my art didn't feel real, it felt fake, like I was forcing it, which  I was.

So what do you do when you are ready to give up? Play.  Just play with your art, don't put limits on it, don't expect it to be pretty, or something that you can sell. Experiment, and don't be afraid to paint over the whole darn thing when you realize how bad it is. That is how we grow. Not by our successes, but by our failures. We learn how not to do something, and we make that ok. Don't ' beat yourself up, just paint, or sketch, with no goals in mind.  This is the lesson for me this weekend.  Right now I  feel like painting  little red riding hood on watercolor. I don't know if anyone will ever see it, but after scrapping so many drawings, it's the one thing I felt like doing. So I got no art to show you.

Not all was wasted this weekend, I finally joined twitter. I only joined because it was tje only way I could join Pinterest, which sounds like every artists' dream.  I have no idea what I am doing, lol! but will slowly try and figure things out.
Wherever you are, I hope you are having a lovely weekend. Be blessed, and love your life! It's the only one you got!
xoxo
betty

10 comments:

Pamela Joy Purses said...

to funny, Betty I so am with you on the "Pinterest" thing LOL, ...I had a glorious weekend just creating like you said for "me" ...you're right the more we do that and have fun the more art we'll create and then out of that...we'll find our little voice, big huggs, my friend!

audrey said...

Hi Pink.
Just stopping in to say hello. I am having trouble figuring things out on Pinterest. I have so many photos I want to pin and I can't seem to make it work. I guess I'll just keep trying. It's a great concept ~ I think you'll like it.
Have a great week!
♥ audrey

Kathleen said...

Great advice! Sometimes we take our art so seriously that we don't allow ourselves time to play and experiment with new techniques. I'm going to go plan a play day right now!

Cameron said...

I think our art has a mind of its own....sometimes we have to abandon our preconceived notions of what we want to create and listen to what the art wants become...
I'm not a very good listener, nor very patient, so this doesn't happen often....haha!
I think playing is always a good thing :)

That's the same reason I joined Twitter....I refuse to join Facebook again after I deleted my previous account.....I haven't become as addicted to Pinterest as I know I could....but that's probably a plus right now :D

I look forward to when you do have art to show us! Your version of Little Red would be so cool!!

Pam of alwaysartistic said...

Sorry you had such an unartful weekend. Hope the inspiration comes soon. Enjoy Pinterest... I love it!

Sueann said...

I had a full and creative weekend. It was fabulous! And when I don't feel like painting...I watch movies or cook something or play with my photo editing program. Ha!
Hugs
SueAnn

Magic Love Crow said...

Big Hugs Betty! I am right with you my friend! You know, before you throw them out, you could always send me a picture? Maybe I would want them ;o) LOL! Be well and always keep smiling! Hugs ;o) Oh, I know nothing about twitter or Pinterest?? Good luck!

Annie Lightbulb said...

Your so much a teacher and a guru here today, thank you for sharing :)
Much love to you on your next masterpiece!

Christine said...

Playing is definitely the answer. I used to have frustrating weekends like that too. The best ideas come during play and experimentation :-)

qifei2012 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.